Recognizes journalists who present informed, intelligent and impactful commentary in either print, TV/video, radio/podcast or online media.
Submissions must include 5 examples of work on either a single or multiple topics.
The City Mike Award is named after the groundbreaking CJOR program that established Jack Webster as one of BC’s pre-eminent commentators, and is presented in memory of Linda Webster.
Requirements for Submission
In order to be eligible for a Webster Award you must meet all of the following REVISED general requirements and the specific eligibility requirements for each award.
- Judges will base their decisions on the significance of the topic, the effectiveness of the commentary on the issue at hand, and the quality of the work, including clarity, originality, depth of thought and style.
- You must be a BC-based journalist,
- Submissions must report on stories of interest for BC audiences,
- Only submissions published/aired between June 1 of the previous calendar year and May 31 of the current calendar year are eligible,
- Submissions must have been published in journalism sources, including but not limited to, online, print, video, broadcast, podcast, radio, blogs, newscast, etc.
- Submissions are encouraged from the gamut of media departments/sections, including news, sports, the arts, business, etc.
• You must complete an online form for each submission,
• You can enter a story or series in only one category, however you can submit as many different entries as you like,
• A fee of $25 per submission must be paid. Major credit cards will be accepted for payment,
• Your submission must include a 200-word synopsis about the submission, explaining the background, significance, impact and any other information you consider pertinent,
• Aside from the synopsis, you must upload your major story. Should you be a finalist or the winner, this will be the story available for the public to access,
• You must then include 4 other uploads, to support your entry,
• If uploading audio or video, a maximum of a sum total of 60 minutes is allowed for each submission. You may include one file of 60 minutes or several files of segments from your broadcast but do not edit the segments from how they appeared in the original broadcast,
• For any submissions that appeared in hard copy/print, please upload a PDF showing the actual page(s) published and make sure it can be read,
• Only one story should be in any PDF uploaded,
• For online text-based submissions, or regarding submissions in the Multimedia category, please upload a readable screen grab as your story was displayed, or a PDF’d version of this, or if need be, provide a link to the story that is not behind a paywall,
• For radio/audio/podcast entries, please provide an MP3 audio file no greater than 2GB in size,
• For TV/Video entries, please provide a video in the following formats: MP4,MPG, or MPEG no greater than 2GB in size