This category recognizes a journalist or a team of journalists who deploys outstanding long-form or feature reporting skills to tell an original or under-reported story. Submissions could include a single story, or a planned series, in print, online or broadcast formats.
Requirements for Submission
In order to be eligible for a Webster Award you must meet all of the following REVISED general requirements and the specific eligibility requirements for each award.
- Is the story well told, compelling and properly explained?
- What degrees of research, resourcefulness and persistence were exhibited in telling this story?
- Story Choice:
- Why was this story important to tell?
- Is the story relevant, creative, significant or original?
- Impact and Relevance:
- What was the impact on the community/issue?
- What changed as a result of the story?
- What did the story tell us about how we live now or deepen understanding of our history?
- Was the story fair to those portrayed in and affected by the story?
- You must be a BC-based journalist, or if it is a team submission the majority of those on the team must be BC-based journalists,
- For a team submission, be prepared to list each person’s name and the name of the city/town where they reside,
- Submissions must report on stories of interest for BC audiences,
- Only submissions published/aired between June 1 of the previous calendar year and May 31 of the current calendar year are eligible,
- Submissions must have been published in journalism sources, including but not limited to, online, print, video, broadcast, podcast, radio, blogs, newscast, etc.
- Submissions are encouraged from the gamut of media departments/sections, including news, sports, the arts, business, etc.
- You must complete an online form for each submission,
- You can enter a story or series in only one category, however you can submit as many different entries as you like,
- A fee of $25 per submission. Major credit cards will be accepted for payment,
- Your submission must include a 200-word synopsis about the submission, explaining the story’s background, significance,impact and any other information you consider pertinent,
- Aside from the synopsis, you must upload your major story to be reviewed, and should you be a finalist or the winner, this will be the story available for the public to access,
- You may then include up to a MAXIMUM of 4 other uploads, to support your entry,
- If uploading audio or video, a maximum of a sum total of 60 minutes is allowed for each submission. You may include one file of 60 minutes or several files of segments from your broadcast but do not edit the segments from how they appeared in the original broadcast,
- For any submissions that appeared in hard copy/print, please upload a PDF showing the actual page(s) published and make sure it can be read,
- Only one story should be in any PDF uploaded,
- For online text-based submissions, or regarding submissions in the Multimedia category, please upload a readable screen grab as your story was displayed, or a PDF’d version of this, or if need be, provide a link to the story that is not behind a paywall,
- For radio/audio/podcast entries, please provide an MP3 audio file no greater than 2GB in size,
- For TV/Video entries, please provide a video in the following formats: MP4,MPG, or MPEG no greater than 2GB in size